CL-FTP Bugs Squashed

2015-Jun-03, Wednesday 06:28

One of the perks of being unemployed are that I have a reasonable amount of downtime again, so I've been spending some of it updating libraries which are under my care.

CL-FTP, which is pretty stable and incredibly niche (who uses FTP anymore, anyway?), has recently had a flurry of activity. Thanks to Kambiz Darabi for finding and fixing a bug related to :if-exists nil. Thanks also to Rafael Jesús Alcántara Pérez for improving ABCL compatibility.

CL-FTP is now at version 1.6, and includes both the above-mentioned bug fixes as well as:

  • Now available via the ASDF system name "CL-FTP", in addition to "FTP". The inconsistency between library name and system name bothered me, so now they're consistent.
  • No more docs hidden away in an LML file. The method docs have been moved into docstrings, which hopefully puts things a little closer to where they should be. (And hey, maybe they'll be picked up by quickdocs in the future.)
  • "active" FTP should actually work now. Turns out it's been broken for, uh, entirely too many years. It may or may not work depending on NATs and firewalls in between the client and the server, but the library itself should no longer be an issue.

In related news, a big thanks to Mariano Montone for his patches to burgled-batteries. You may be interested to check out his burgled-batteries.syntax project, which helps bridge the gap between what burgled-batteries actually is and the ambitious goals I have yet to get anywhere near.

Or: burgled-batteries isn't dead or forgotten, I've just been busy.

One of the downsides of liberally relying on CFFI internals is that changes to those internals can easily result in breakage, and some of the cffi-libffi changes did so. It took me entirely too long to get around to it, but I've finally updated burgled-batteries so it will actually run against CFFI in Quicklisp. Actually moving to the new style of (:struct *) and (:pointer (:struct *)) identifiers remains to be done, so there are a fair number of style warnings to ignore, but at least it will run.

I've also moved burgled-batteries to git. The official repo URL has not changed (it remains http://repo.kepibu.org/burgled-batteries), however there is also a github mirror, which may be moderately more useful if you'd like to browse the source or changes without cloning the repo, as it will undoubtedly be a while before I've got time to set up gitweb on my own host and get it functioning seamlessly in parallel with darcsweb.

May 2017

S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
14 151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   

Syndicate

RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags